Thursday, September 22, 2005

I'm In Need of Some Big-Brained Nuance

I'm in need of the deep understanding of military affairs that comes from having a reality-based, big-brained, nuanced outlook. Namely, I don't understand two common complaints about the war:

1. Afghanistan was a mistaken war because we scattered al Qaeda jihadis and they scattered to the four corners where they are even tougher to combat. The threat remains high and we made an error attacking.

2. Iraq is a mistake because it is creating and drawing jihadis to Iraq where we continue to fight them. This experience is making the jihadi terrorists more dangerous by giving them experience in terror.

So is it bad if the terrorists stand and fight? Or bad if they run? Help me. My knuckle-dragging, simple-minded, black-and-white mind can't grasp this apparent contradiction.

Or is it just bad if George W. Bush does it?

Nuance!!! I need nuance!!!