Sunday, August 27, 2006

Exqueeze Me?

Hizbollah's Nasrallah says he wouldn't have sparked a war had he known how Israel would respond:

"We did not think, even 1 percent, that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not," he said in an interview with Lebanon's New TV station.

I find this fascinating after his loud bellowing that he won the war. Is he really saying he'd go without his great victory if he could do it all over again? Why is he confessing error now?

I might have to reconsider my assessment of who won the war--though I was always sure that tactically the Israelis pounded Hizbollah. I figured the post-war events would determine the war winner. What will the UN and Lebanese government do in southern Lebanon?

Maybe Nasrallah started calling his people to congratulate them on their win and got too many widows answering his calls.

Fascinating.