Sunday, April 29, 2007

Stockholm Syndrome

I've been rather critical of Congressional Democrats over the Iraq funding debate.

I don't like hammering the Democrats because I know too many who are decent people. I usually reserve my ire for the hard core Left that clearly wants to lose this war--if they think we're at war at all. I have as much disgust for the isolationist Right--but the Right isn't validated by a fawning national media. The isolationist Right is delegitimized by the press while the crazy Left is supported consciously and reflexively by a sympathetic reporter corps.

So I have a little comfort in reading this critique from the Democratic side that bemoans the apparent hijacking of the Democratic Party by the insane Left.

The Democratic wing of the Democratic Party needs to defeat these Leftists. Democrats don't want to lose a war. Leftists do. But right now the vanguard of the Leftists has the rest of the Democratic Party running scared and too afraid to slap down the fanatics. And rather than being disgusted by these fanatics, mainstream Democrats seem grateful for their energy. It's as if an entire party has been held hostage and is starting to identify with Kos and Democratic Underground as a survival mechanism.

So I don't think that I'm getting more intolerant. I think the Democratic Party is losing its soul to its intense Left and has not yet worked up enough resolve to reject and purge the nuts from the party.

I've always been disgusted by the Left. But the Left is moving mainstream, and so my disgust is following. It's not me. It's them.

I dearly want two national parties that are committed to defending our country.

UPDATE: I meant to work this article in. Too late. Just read it. It is fairly damning. It doesn't have to be this way. But it doesn't look like it will change any time soon, does it?