Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Gibbs Has My Six

I tend to save the bulk of my venom for the hard core political "Left" (with a minor in the isolationist right, if only because that right is marginalized and not promoted by our national culture and press corps, so has little real influence), rather than complaining about "Democrats." I've known and worked too much with Democrats who are intelligent and decent people to write off the party as a whole. I worry that the Left has hijacked that party at the national level, but still, I maintain the distinction.

So it is with some amusement--given that it seems to me that the Left has a pretty good presence in the current White House--that the president's press secretary sees the same distinction I've maintained all along on this blog:

The press secretary dismissed the “professional left” in terms very similar to those used by their opponents on the ideological right, saying, “They will be satisfied when we have Canadian healthcare and we’ve eliminated the Pentagon. That’s not reality.”

Gibbs made sense. Excuse me while I go take a long, hot shower for even typing those words.

I quibble on one small part--the "professional" Left? The Left will never lose its amateur status as far as I'm concerned.