Friday, March 30, 2012

Repeat!

I'm a proud dad. Both my children are a joy (with the usual and normal amount of frustration--no Stepford Children here!).

So it is with great pride that I can report that Lamb won the grade trophy for her science fair project. It was an experiment that continued the theme of simple machines. This year she tested the positioning of a fulcrum in a lever to lift an object. UPDATE: Here's the picture:


Although I was a history and political science major, I did take physics in college. The remnants of that three-decade-old knowledge are just strong enough to come up with grade school experiments.

Lamb put a lot of work into the project. This year, I also had Lamb type her notes for the display board. I'll admit that this was the toughest part for her. But despite some complaining, she did persist for 2-1/2 hours of typing. She enjoyed the experiment part a lot more.

Ever since she was pre-kindergarten and watched me helping her big brother with an experiment for his science fair, she's been eager to do her own. Back then, I had to make a quick experiment using wooden blocks for her to conduct while Mister worked on his. Seeing Mister's trophy also inspired Lamb to get her own.

Since she won last year, Lamb noted with a little worry that other kids in her class were saying they had to beat her! I told her that she should be proud that she is considered the standard to beat.

And she still is. For those of you counting along at home, that makes three science fair trophies for Lamb. :-)

As a bonus, the first grade winner did the experiment she won with in kindergarten.

As an additional bonus, she is managing this without having to forfeit her childhood by being put on the career track at a young age by tiger parenting approaches. Kids will have a lifetime of work and responsibilities. I say as long as they do what they are supposed to do, let them be kids while they are kids.

I hope my daughter learns from these science fairs that she can achieve whatever she wants in life. I'll have no limits placed on her that she doesn't want.