Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day 2013

I served in uniform. I did my duty. But Memorial Day always reminds me of how little I did as a reservist who was never sent in harm's way.

I remain deeply grateful that the price of my life going on has been the lives of so many others in our history who paid the ultimate price for doing their duty.

Today, we pay tribute to those patriots who never came back -- who fought for a home to which they never returned, and died for a country whose gratitude they will always have... Scripture teaches us that "greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
--President Obama, today.




Now, of course, my flag is at half-staff. At noon it will be raised to its full height as this picture shows.

UPDATE: From a veteran who lost sailors in Iraq:

Knowing firsthand the hardships of combat gives me all the more reason to admire and stand in awe of those who marched with Washington and gave their lives for the United States of America. Most will never be depicted in bronze, but their sacrifices matter. The legions of American warriors since then who sacrificed their lives have not done so eagerly, nor have they done so blindly. They acted willingly because they believed in a great nation that is worth fighting and dying for.

Memorial Day is a living monument to them, a recognition of freedom's cost. May we never take those sacrifices for granted.

Read it all.