Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Guantanamo Ice Tray

I finally saw Star Trek Into Darkness. (I assume some comedy site's employees high-fived each other, salivating over the chance to do a version titled "Into Dorkness.")  No, I suppose I am not guilty of needing instant gratification for my wants. Or I'm not as big a Star Trek fan as I think I am. I don't own any Star Trek merchandise, I admit.

Anyway. Quite enjoyable action flick. When Kirk exhausted himself futilely punching the villain, I figured out he was Khan. Yes, I avoided reading or talking about the movie, completely.

And as soon as Kirk went for the radiation dose, I figured out Khan's blood would be used to revive Kirk.

As an aside, Kirk's future wife(?) and mother of their future completely annoying grown-up son is stunningly pretty.

I would like to point out that after all the moral posturing in the movie about returning Khan to Earth in order to face justice after he killed so many people on Earth, Khan--and all of his uninvolved followers--were put in cold storage ice trays for indefinite, unconscious detention.

Unless you want to tell me that Khan and all of his followers had will have trials and appeals, and that the statutes (will) include suspended animation punishments for the duration of the franchise.

So much for the Botany Bay episode, of course.

Not that I'm complaining about the Federation's (or was this Earth jurisdiction?) actions. Khan might still be in a Klingon airport if Kirk hadn't violated Klingon territorial integrity and come out with Khan.

One question, however, about that commando raid on Kronos. Isn't it convenient that there were no real world consequences of not just trying to drone Khan's butt with a weapon not traceable to Earth?

Given how, ah--touchy--the Klingons are, you're telling me that the Klingons didn't figure out Earth slaughtered and busted up one of their planet's bases? CSI Kronos? Video cameras? Eye witness accounts of humans? Sheer bloody-minded awfulness that would lead them to blame Earth without any need to have any evidence at all?

And then didn't throw their fleet at the Sol system? As honor requires them to act?

I quibble. I liked the movie.