Thursday, December 25, 2014

Could the State Department Assign This to the America Desk?

I stand by my assessment two years ago of lifting the embargo on Cuba.

Although I should perhaps have been more specific when I asked "what's in it for us?"

I meant what's in it for America and not what's in it for President Obama.

There is a difference, you know.

Stratfor has a good analysis of the situation (and I agree and disagree with various parts, although the discussion of Cuba's geographic impact on American security is spot on).

Of course, as they say, there's a long way to go before it can be said we've rescued Cuba:

We are far from settling a strategic dispute rooted in Cuba's location and the fact that its location could threaten U.S. interests. Therefore, opening moves are opening moves. There is a long way to go on this issue.

There is a statutory basis for the embargo on Cuba. Perhaps not even the president's lawyers can figure out how to use executive power to subvert it.

I do hope that as we go forward we ask what is in the president's initiative and vision for Cuban-American relations for America.