Monday, December 21, 2015

Macro-Insanity

This is insanity:

Students at an ultra-liberal Ohio college are in an uproar over the fried chicken, sushi and Vietnamese sandwiches served in the school cafeterias, complaining the dishes are “insensitive” and “culturally inappropriate.”

I think it is time to break up Oberlin College and sell it for parts.

Sure, this is only a minority. But it is tolerated, if not encouraged, by the administrative-professorial complex.

So they deserve it.

On the other hand, if those writing in about, among other things, how undercooked rice is "disrespectful" of Japanese culture are mocking the original demands, I salute them.

But these days, it isn't safe to bet against the crazy.

UPDATE: Really, you tell me if this is lack of self-awareness or mockery:

Others were up in arms over banh mi Vietnamese sandwiches served with coleslaw instead of pickled vegetables, and on ciabatta bread, rather than the traditional French baguette.

“It was ridiculous,” gripes Diep Nguyen, a freshman who is a Vietnam native.

The Vietnamese dish was not served with traditional French bread! You tell me if that was a joke or not! I can't tell ...

Actually, this reminds me of when I worked in a dorm cafeteria. We had an "Asian night" for dinner (without protests!) and as such special night dinners were, it was hectic.

So to buy time to keep up with the need to refill trays on the self-serve bars, I found a tray of older lettuce in the refrigerator starting to brown and put it out with a sign that identified it as "Korean Brown Lettuce."

That helped a lot--until a supervisor caught me. Mercifully, I wasn't charged by a campus court for culturally appropriating anything.