Sunday, December 25, 2016

Life is Good, Don't Forget That

Merry Christmas!

And I say this to those of any Christian denomination of any level of faith intensity, and to those who are Jewish, Moslem, Hindu, Buddhist, pagan, atheist, animist, or whatever your belief system is, with equal warmth and best wishes in the spirit of this season.*

Life is good. This season, which begins at Thanksgiving to formally give thanks and ends with New Years Day when we look to a new year with hope and optimism, is my favorite time of year--when you correct for weather factors, naturally. I hate winter weather.

When I was a scruffy little kid running around the streets of Detroit--in a day when running around until the street lights went on while carrying a small knife, firecrackers, and matches as your basic load as a kid without risking being put on a no-fly list--I never could have imagined that my life would be as good and rewarding as it has become. I could never have followed my path in another country, with the exception of Canada, I imagine. But even then it would require the existence of America to make that possible.

May my children, Mister and Lamb, cherish their opportunities, and may they achieve dreams beyond their capacity to picture. The spirit of the season and the greatness of our nation (which I have never judged based on who holds the presidency)  make me optimistic that the American dream is alive and well, and that my children will be able to live in awe of what they are free to achieve and experience.

Why 95% of Americans aren't grateful to have been born in America and able to live here to make the best of what they have available is beyond me.

*Remember, accepting my greeting and sentiment in no way reflects a conversion attempt or ceremony that obligates you to adopt my religious views.